Visitors

Sunday, January 30, 2011

What the critics are saying - Jody from Bar Harbor, Maine


1/29/11 9:36 a.m.

Hi, Amy!  I have read the first fifteen chapters of Wicked Good and am totally loving it!  It is heartbreakingly real!  I don't think I have read anything like it before.  Thank god for the humor or I would be devastated by the pathos!  I have to stop now because it is 9:30 on a Sat. morning and I haven't even showered yet.  Need to get on with my day.  I will keep you posted with responses as I go.  Thanks for including me in your "club" of readers!  Jody

1/30/11 8:07 a.m.

Amy, I have read 32 chapters and only stopped because my computer froze.  Archer's  vast range of feelings for her son - from unbearable tenderness to the almost  "murderous rage" of any mother who possesses a healthy ego (I think Winnicott said that) is so refreshingly honest!  I hope you do get it published because I think mothers everywhere (and especially adoptive mothers) will find great relief in reading your story.  I'll keep you posted as I continue to read....Jody 

1/30/11 10:38 p.m.

Hi Amy, Finished.  I really enjoyed it (and I don't much like reading from a computer so you know I enjoyed it to finish it over a week-end).  It was fun and painful and very honest.  I've read other novels that feature kids with Aspergers (like the one about the boy and the mystery about the dead dog... can't remember the exact title).  I loved that book too, but your book captures the personality of one kid with Aspergers that fits more with my own experience.  Such a complex boy!  And the mom's self-doubts - actually more like raw Shame - was so powerfully depicted.  When I work with families - especially adoptive families - I encounter this shame all the time.  It seems to come with the territory (of mothers?  adoption?  not sure).  I really hope you get published.  And I would most assuredly love a sequel.  By the way, the plot twists were delightful!  Keep me posted on your publishing progress.  Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment